Wednesday, February 25, 2015

From the Kitchen: Lentil Soup

OK, so I realize that most of my recipes so far have been soup. It's just the time of year and the fact that they are so easy to switch up ingredients with. Lentils are so good for you as are all of the veggies in this soup. You don't even need to add meat and it is still a really hearty meal.


Ingredients:
1 cup dried lentils (rinsed and picked though)
2-3 carrots - diced
2 stalks celery - diced
1 leek- diced
medium onion - diced
clove of garlic
32oz carton of chicken broth
14oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
olive oil
ham bone (optional)
fresh thyme (optional)


Saute carrots, celery, onion and leek in a large pot with olive oil.
Mince clove of garlic and add to pot once the veggies are soft.
Add can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, lentils and ham bone (optional), salt, pepper and fresh thyme (optional).
Bring soup to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Notes and Variations:
  • The ham bone is great at adding flavor to the soup. But I never have a ham bone unless it is Christmas. You can leave that out or add: cubed ham, sausage, chopped Canadian bacon as I did above.
  • You can sub the chicken broth for beef or vegetable broth.
  • I've never actually made with the leek although I'm sure that would give it a nice flavor.
  • I also never have fresh herbs on hand. I seasoned with a little Italian Seasoning this time.

Ever had lentils before? The first time (and only time) I've had them is in this soup.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...